Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Thomas Edison of Dirty Hippie Nonsense

     So, I'm doing a new experiment with my body. I love making myself feel uncomfortable, eh? I have quit deodorant, soap, shampoo and conditioner, and all facial products. Hell, I've even quit hair care products. My new arsenal? A tough bristled 'dry' brush, vinegar and water spray, coconut oil, and honey. I'm a delicious salad dressing, guys!

    Before the shower, I get my face a little wet and slather on a thin layer of honey. When I hop into the shower, I spray down my hair with a 1/4 ratio Apple Cider vinegar to water mix, then let that sit as I use the dry brush wet to clean my skin. Starting with my feet and using long, even strokes, I brush up my body to my upper chest, then start again at my fingers going up my shoulders and around to meet where I left off before. Avoiding my money maker (face), I give everything a good scrub and I extra scrub my armpits, to kill off that bacteria that would otherwise cause me to smell. While I rinse off the dirt and unwanted skin, I carefully work my fingers through my hair from the root to tip, moving the natural oils from my scalp throughout my hair and working out dirt. A swipe of a wet washcloth over my face to clear the honey, and I'm calling it done. A few tiny drops of coconut oil (and for my shoulder length, thick, incredibly curly hair, that's crazy talk) divided between my scalp and tips of hair to combat frizz is all that's left. And that's it. The rough brush stimulates the lymphatic system, which cares for your skin better than anything you could do, but it also works as an exfoliant, cleanser, and the cutting of harmful (and drying) sulfates leaves no reason to lotion up. The vinegar works loose dirt without stripping beneficial oils from the hair shaft, allowing the oils to cut frizz and fully exhibit the full curl my hair has. The honey is a natural moisturizer, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory, so it does everything all at once. And by giving the thorough scrub (and being patient through an adjustment period) to my armpits, I no longer have body odor, unless I drink alcohol. Then it's awful. Right now it is 2am, after a sweltering day in Denver, helping throw a receiving truck, and I smell like: Nothing.

     Now, this has only been a week so far. My hair has seen this routine before, so I know the mane will only get more luscious and tamed in the next couple of weeks. Even now, my curls are keeping shape for 2 to 3 days, where with commercial products they were keeping one day at most, and that was with pieces not curling at all. My incredibly sensitive, damage prone body skin has been making huge improvements, most of the skin looks and feels much healthier than before and I have fewer spots of irritation. My face is pissed off. It doesn't help that I just sugar waxed my brows and keep picking at the few spots on face that I do have. But, my hope is that this will help to even out my skin tone and prevent more damage from being done to my face skin.

     This is just my first week check in. Let's see what will need tweeking or what will stand strong and fix me. Up next? I'm thinking of posting my super simple, but ridiculously lush lip balm recipe. Hmmm.. Decisions,
 

My dog, Mercury, and I after a hike, with clear skin and pretty hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment