Saturday, June 9, 2012

Dirty Face, Dirty Hair pt2

 ,jkj    I love having easy hair. Not Paris HIlton 'easy', but Sting 'easy'. At this rate, I literally get my hair wet, brush it, and let it do what it wants. You may ask, "Everyday? That's it?" Yeah. that's it. I get beautiful, frizz free curls that are not dry, not greasy, not crunchy or smelling of 15 different chemicals, I can straighten my bangs without worrying about frying them... easy. So what's the secret? How do I not look like that creepy kid that used to sit in the corner of your grade school class room, eating their own boogers? Well, it's called calculated patience. 

    The shopping list:
  • Baking soda- as a stand in degreaser, for oily hair
  • Vinegar solution (1pt vinegar to 8pt water)- pH balancing, shine enhancer, softens, good for all hair types
  • Coconut oil (olive oil is a good stand in)- leave in conditioner, good for intermittent use
  • A BOMB hair brush- I used a regular pin brush and it was ok, but now that I have a boar's hair brush I can honestly say, there's a huge difference! Spend the extra $3 on it!
     Adjustment Period:
 
    Now, there is an adjustment period, but once that is over, it's amazing to have the easiest hair ever. Using commercial shampoos strip your hair of all natural oils, which puts your scalp into over drive. That's why, when you take that day or two between washing, your hair feels nasty greasy, because your head is trying to replace all of that oil that is constantly stripped away. But your scalp self regulates once it's given the chance to, so once the adjustment period is over, you might have a little wobble in oil production here and there, but we'll worry about that later. 

    Adjustment period depends on your hair type, having long, curly, dense, dry hair, it was about 2 weeks for me before it was awesome. And that was quitting cold turkey on shampoo, and using conditioner every so often, maybe twice a week. For thinner hair, I suggest weaning off of shampoo, either by spacing days farther apart or by watering down shampoo until you don't need any. 

Now that you've got it, what to do with it:
 
   Some people, with oily hair, mix about a tablespoon baking soda into a water bottle of water, let sit a few days to a week, and massage it into their scalp to reduce excess oil. I tried it, but my hair is dry enough as it is and it felt... weird. Vinegar solution is amazing to bring out the shine and acts as sort of a conditioner. Coconut oil is great for people with dry hair or people like me, who dye their hair ALL THE TIME. My big tip: only apply the oil to the last few inches of your hair, that shit is mean and hard to wash out if you over do it. After I dye my hair, I apply the oil maybe once before my hair feels right again. 

   Now, the biggest thing, most important thing, the thing that will save your sanity: BRUSH YOUR HAIR. That natural, beautiful, healthy oil doesn't travel on its own, so after you get your hair wet, brush it to death. Soak in the feeling of brushing that mane, imagine you are some Victorian house wife with no freedom aside from staring into a mirror at your shiny, sexy hair. Bam, I just made you Victorian. 

   Once your hair adjusts to not having to over compensate, it gets super easy. Then it's wet, towel dry, and go everyday. It's not instant, and for some it may not be easy, but I think it's worth it. And you're reading this because you care about what I think, eh?


      



Debating a part three on this... What do you think?
   Well, get going, and get green!    

No comments:

Post a Comment