Thursday, June 14, 2012

Supplement Update: Melatonin


   I am not one to fall asleep easily. I have to have just the right surroundings, the room must be silent, have the correct temperature, and then there is the mental factor of my stupid brain never stopping. Or even pausing. For many years, I had to be on and off with a slew of prescription and non prescription sleep aids. But I think I may have found the answer recently. 

    Melatonin occurs naturally in our silly little brains, but due to outside influences like man made light sources, radio waves, incredible sugar and caffeine intake that has become the norm, and daily stress, that regulating hormone has reduced in our systems. Melatonin is the hormone that tells our brain that it's night time, and thus the time to relax and go to sleep. Melatonin is made from an amino acid called tryptophan, so that explains why Thanksgiving meals generally end in nappy time. But, for those of us who don't plan to ingest turkey feasts nightly, there are supplements on the market to do the trick. 

    Currently, I am taking 3mg dissolving tablets of melatonin nightly. For less uptight people, there are 1mg versions available. I've been taking them for almost a month now and I can definitely tell the difference. Melatonin use is geared to be used short term, it sets your bodily schedule for rest and builds your natural melatonin production. I try really hard to take it at about the same time every night, but am great at taking it at least a half hour before bed. Considering how lame my brain is and how whiny I am about my sleep station, I am impressed at how the melatonin is working for me. I go to sleep easily, rarely wake up in the night, and wake up ready for the day. Now if only I could end my caffeine addiction, I would be much better off with the state I wake up in! 

   But a cup of morning coffee is sooooo sexy! 

Get going, get green, and get yo sexy ass some coffee.

2 comments:

  1. What coffee are you drinking now a days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting down on Organic, Fair Trade Love Buzz for drip, and Taste Nirvana Real Thai Coffee Latte when I want something fancy. For pictures of both, check out my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/thesexytimenatural Also, I've been using So Delicious Coconut Milk creamer in French Vanilla. Effing delish. And with so few calories, it keeps my fat ass in check.

    ReplyDelete